Tabloids. Gossip rags. Adult pay-per-view. That’s who.
Let’s be honest. If you were given the choice between, say, reading an in-depth analysis of municipal bonds in The Economist vs. reading the latest about Heidi Montag’s efforts to attain the perfect body, which would you choose?
Yeah, right. We want our fluff! Let’s face it. After a hard day of filling cavities or preparing tax returns or dealing with angry customers who insist they really do wear a size 5 shoe, who wants to come home and read about why our economy is sputtering or whether peace can ever be achieved in the Middle East or if the Large Hadron Collider will create a mini black hole that’ll destroy earth?
Wonks, that’s who. As for the rest of us, we prefer Lady Gaga over the First Lady.
According to twittercounter.com, the 10 people with the most followers on Twitter are:
- 11.4 Million – Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta (Lady Gaga)
- 10.8 Million – Justin Drew Bieber
- 9.0 Million – Barack Hussein Obama II
- 8.4 Million - Britney Jean Spears
- 8.1 Million – Kimberly Noel "Kim" Kardashian
- 8.1 Million – Katheryn Elizabeh Hudson (Katy Perry)
- 7.1 Million - Christopher Ashton Kutcher
- 7.0 Million – Ellen DeGeneres
- 6.9 Million – Taylor Alison Swift
- 6.9 Million – Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
Notice there’s no one from the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Scientific American, Atlantic Monthly or Mad magazine.
The all-time top 10 videos on YouTube, as we checked on July 27, 2011 are:
- 592.9 Million – Justin Bieber – Baby
- 400.5 Million – Lady Gaga – Bad Romance
- 371.4 Million – Shakira – Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)
- 362.3 Million – Eminem feat. Rihanna – Love the Way You Lie
- 357.7 Million – Charlie bit my finger – Again!
- 314.8 Million – Jennifer Lopez – On the Floor
- 258.5 Million – Eminem – Not Afraid
- 255.9 Million – Justin Bieber – One Time
- 238.6 Million – Justin Bieber feat. Jaden Smith - Never Say Never
- 237.1 Million – Miley Cyrus – Party in the U.S.A.
Inspirational, right… so, what’s the moral of this story?
If you think the way to blog or tweet or Facebook your way to success is to write "7 Ways to Use SEO Before Building Your Website" or to produce YouTube videos explaining marketing strategies to dominate and crush your competition? you’re in for some serious disappointments my friend.
No, if you truly seriously want to grab attention, write about how Yelp cures baldness, or how to drive your spouse wild in bed using Google Search, or how a simple algorithm transformed you from a garden variety nerd into a billionaire nerd.
And then?Ka-boooom! Your blog, website or fan page will skyrocket to the top of the charts.