Eaton 5PX 1500VA
The Eaton 5PX arrived safely at our lab housed inside an incredibly durable heavy gauge cardboard box. Dense custom-cut foam padding surrounded the unit and ably protected it from any bumps and bruises the delivery service may have tried to dish out. In addition to the UPS itself the you will also find owner's manuals, USB cable, Ethernet cable, screwdriver, rails for rackmounting and feet for deskside/tower configuration. Everything you need to get the UPS up and running is included in the box. Eaton 5PX 1500VA is a heavy hitter, supporting stand-alone tower and rackmount configurations
One of the first indications that the Eaton 5PX is not your average glorified power strip is its form factor. The 5PX comes in a standard 2U package, hinting at its ability to be used in a server/rackmount environment. With the feet attached and oriented in tower fashion the UPS is roughly the size of a midtower case sliced in half vertically. Depending on the configuration, you can rotate the LCD screen
On the front side of the UPS we find the LCD display as well as a removable faceplate that allows access to the hot-swappable battery. The LCD serves as the control panel for the UPS and provides at-a-glance information such as current power load, estimated run time based on current power load, battery level, wattage draw on supported receptacles and much more. One of the cool features of the LCD control panel is that it accounts for both rack mount and tower orientations. Should you change your mind on the orientation you simply grab the LCD, pull it away from the front panel and rotate it 90 degrees in the alternative direction. It may seem like a simple detail but it proves that Eaton understands that even the smallest detail can make a huge difference.
Navigating the LCD control panel is very intuitive and I found the control panel provided a good mix of information and navigation. Pertinent information I wanted (such as estimated run time and current power load) are either already displayed on the home screen or are only a few button presses away. Should you wish to get more granular you can continue drilling down on the options available and set specific settings such as the UPS's power fluctuation sensitivity and Input Threshold. If you want to check out the LCD control panel for yourself head over to Eaton's online user interface demo
.Rear side of Eaton 5PX 1500VA reveals dual-Ethernet (via optional ConnectUPS-MS Card), RJ-11 and RJ-45 connectors, USB, external fuses, as well as eight power sockets
The rear panel of the Eaton 5PX is all business. Back here you will find an assortment of plugs and receptacles, some familiar and some not. Starting on the left side and moving right we have:
- Slot for the optional ConnectUPS-MS Card, This card provides UPS communication and management over a network allowing you to receive email alerts in the event of a power issue as well as remotely manage the UPS.
- EBM RJ-11 Connector: Allows the 5PX to automatically detect connection to Extended Battery Modules without any need for manual changes to operating parameters
- RPO/ROO Connector: Select Remote Power Off or Remote On/Off functionality.
- USB Port: Allows USB communication with a PC. Allows management software to control all UPS functions from the PC's desktop as well as provide alerts and error/issue monitoring
- RS-232 Connector Alternative network connection
- EBM Connector: Used to connect to additional EBM's to provide additional battery powered runtime
- Managed Load segments: These receptacles are monitored for power/wattage draw and can be programmed to automatically power down connected devices to preserve battery power for critical components
- Managed Outlets: Monitored for power/wattage draw and in the event of power loss, devices connected to these outlets will continue to receive power until the UPS shuts itself down or the battery is completely drained. HINT: Plug your PC into these outlets
- Power Socket: Connector by which the UPS receives its power from the wall outlet.
© 2009 - 2014 Bright Side Of News*, All rights reserved.